Code editor is freezing

I am working with chapter 15 (project phases of the moon). I was at the point of adding the moon’s rotation around the earth, and my code editor has frozen. I have closed my browser and restarted my computer–no change. I have tried using the /?e but still nothing. The code I was working on will show up (sometimes!), but I cannot copy any code. Help? Thanks!

Thanks for trying the ?e approach to fix. If you couldn’t find the problem in edit-only mode, I think the next step is to go back into edit-only mode and share the entire project here. I can have a look at the code and will then suggest a fix.

Either use the share option from the menu in 3DE or copy and paste it directly into your reply. The share option is less error prone. If you prefer copy & paste, be sure to paste it between 3 backtick lines:

Explain how your code is misbehaving...

```    
// Paste your code here
```

Include any more information that you like here...

Once you share the code, we ought to be able to figure out the problem relatively quickly.

-Chris

Here’s the code link - https://is.gd/IU2oXn

I did decide to try starting again, so I created a new file and went from the beginning. That one worked, but I’m still not sure what I was doing wrong in the original file. If you can find the issue that would be great so that I can learn more!

Thanks.

I found the problem. It looks like it was my fault as much as anything.

The problem line is line 68:

for (var i = 0; i < 500; i)

It is supposed to be:

for (var i = 0; i < 500; i++)

It looks like you typed it perfectly right up until the ++. 3DE’s auto-save then kicked in at which point the code was run and locked the browser.

JavaScritpt for statements loop a bit of code. The line is supposed to start the variable i at zero, go as long as i is less than 500, and increase i by one (i++) each time through the loop.

But, since you never got the chance to type ++, the code is currently stuck in an infinite loop. It starts i at zero and would stop the loop if i ever reached 500. But, since the last part of the for statement is just i without changing i, i is always zero. So the code is stuck there. i is always zero and the for statement just keeps looping over and over and over – locking the page up.

I probably should have included a warning whenever for loops are used – something like you may have to go into edit-only mode if the code gets auto-saved before you finish typing. Sorry about that. But, good on you for re-doing the code and getting it working the second time through :slight_smile:

-Chris